Rats can be a nuisance that no one wants to deal with. Not only are they unsightly, but they can also cause significant damage to a property. It's important to be aware of the signs that indicate you have a rat problem, so you can act quickly to resolve the issue.
Common signs you have a rat infestation include:
- Droppings: When droppings are fresh, they are dark and moist. As the droppings age, they turn gray and crumble easily if moved. You may notice droppings near food packages, in drawers and cupboards, along walls, and even under the sink.
- Tracks: Rats will often leave tracks around your home if they’re present. Sprinkle a thin layer of baby powder and check for prints, smudge marks, or droppings.
- Odor: You might notice a stale odor or a sharp ammonia-like smell if rat urine is present. If you have pets, they may become active in those areas.
- Gnaw marks: New gnaw marks are lighter in color and become darker as they get older. You might notice gnawed holes on food packaging, on your walls and baseboards, or around electrical wiring.
- Nests: Rats will use materials such as shredded paper, fabric, or dried plant matter to make nests. If you notice small piles of these materials in secluded areas such as under furniture, you could have an infestation.
- Noises: Rats are active at night. If you hear scurrying beneath floors or movement in cabinets and walls it may be a sign that rats are present. You may also hear muffled squeaking.
If you notice any of these signs, it's essential to take immediate action to prevent further damage and reduce the risk of disease transmission. Don't hesitate to call in a professional to assess the situation and recommend the best course of action.
Call today at (916) 588-9345 or contact us online to learn how we can help!